OHSAS 18001:2007 is becoming ISO 45001 & require for Occupational Health & Safety Management System.
OHSAS 18001-2007 – How does it work?
OHSAS stands for Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series. In a time when we many people spend most of the time of a day at their workplace, the need of an occupational system becomes necessary. The time you spend at your workplace giving long sitting hours, stressing your eyes and mind in front of the computers, and following exhaustive target bound routines takes big chunks of health from your body. A basic healthy atmosphere for employees to prevent basic threats to health at the workplace is the need of the hour. This article will give you an insight into the importance and role of OHSAS 18001-2007?
It is an obligatory as well as moral responsibility of an organization or an enterprise or business entity to provide a safe and healthy ambiance and work atmosphere for its employees.
What are the ways to establish an Occupation health and safety management system?
To establish an OHSAS system, n organization needs to do a number of arrangements and changes in the current organizational strategy to make it compatible with the required standards of occupational health and safety management system.
Let us see, how and what you can do implement the OHSAS system in your organization.
- Establish a policy committed to the required standards of OHSAS 18001-2007.
- Ensure document and record control.
- Implement a strategy to identify and trace the possible hazards, dangers, do the assessment of risks and make abrupt solutions to control or eradicate them.
- Develop and maintain the procedures to ensure the timely and up-to-the-mark implementation of the safety legislation.
- Properly describe and define resources, responsibilities, roles, authority, and accountability.
- Plan emergency preparedness and response.
- Meet the strict criteria in a case of an incident investigation.
- Monitor and measure the implementation status of occupational, health and safety system of the organization.
- Do timely review and audit of the system involving the management level.
To achieve the certificate of OHSAS 18001, it is necessary for an organization to develop systematized health and safety policy, protocols and procedures to ensure the presence of a safe atmosphere for the employees.
Benefits of possessing OHSAS 18001 Certification
- Improved image and credibility among regulators, stake holders, customers, public and prospective clients.
- Ensures a healthy and safe atmosphere for employees, public, and subcontractors.
- Helps to reduce accident rate with the help of safety measures developed to maintain the occupational health and safety system.
- It improves and upgrades the incident investigation process.
- Safer workplace and organization’s concern, increases employees trust on the organization.
- Earns the precious asset of goodwill for the company in the market.
- Adoption of international best practices of risk management.
- The adoption of proactive control strategy minimizes the liability of employers.
- It earns the trust of the stakeholder as they of you as an honest and aware organization which serves to the needs of their stakeholders.
OHSAS is a shield which protects the employees from unfavorable situations at the workplace. It also gives them a right to demand their share of comfort, safety, and fair treatment. In fact, the OHSAS 18001-2007/ Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series is just a reflection of human rights. Like an integrated version which talks about every smallest and biggest right of the employees which stretches from hygiene to ensuring the presence of safe to use the equipment. It equips a company with international standards of occupational health, making it eligible for multinational tie-ups and deals. To be simple and precise it is a protection shield for employees at the workplace.